About University of South Africa
Unisa is Africa’s leading distance learning institution nurturing inspiring leaders of tomorrow. We are a reputable, comprehensive, flexible and accessible open distance learning institution that is motivating a future generation. We offer internationally accredited qualifications and have world-class resources.
Our vision “towards the African university shaping futures in the service of humanity” drives us to find answers to Africa’s educational and developmental problems. By forming partnerships in Africa and throughout the world, we are able to help the people of Africa achieve their dreams.
What we do
The three core business areas of Unisa are teaching, research and community engagement. Our world-class research is spearheaded by the Research, Postgraduate Studies, Innovation and Commercialisation portfolio and community engagement by our Community Engagement and Outreach Policy.
We also place great importance on the celebration and promotion of our African roots, arts and culture through various endeavours, including the Archaeology and Anthropology Museum, Music Directorate and Little Theatre.
Our eight colleges comprise the following:
- College of Accounting Sciences (CAS): Offers several qualifications endorsed by professional financial bodies both nationally and internationally, and produces high-quality graduates for the various accounting professions.
College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (CAES): Specialises in education and training in food production and the sustainable use and management of Africa’s natural resources.
- College of Economic and Management Sciences (CEMS): The largest provider of business education in Africa and one of the largest in the world. Unisa’s Graduate School of Business Leadership (SBL) is an autonomous academic department within CEMS.
- College of Education (CEDU): Responsible for the professional education and training of close to 50% of all teachers in South Africa.
- College of Graduate Studies: Endeavours to increase Unisa’s postgraduate profile and to improve the performance of master’s and doctoral students.
- College of Human Sciences (CHS): Offers high-quality general academic and career-focused programmes in the arts and humanities, social sciences, education, religion and theology.
- College of Law (CLAW): Confers professional qualifications that provide access to the legal profession, as well as various career-based qualifications in subjects such as police practice.
- College of Science, Engineering and Technology (CSET): Offers general academic and career-oriented degrees, diplomas and certificates in a range of science, engineering and technology disciplines.
In addition, we have a Graduate School of Business Leadership (SBL) which is regarded as one of the top business schools in South Africa, the SBL has produced more than a third of all the MBL/MBA degrees awarded by South African universities since its inception
Preller Street, Muckleneuk Ridge, Pretoria
Sunnyside campus (applications, registrations & learning centre):
Cnr Justice Mahomed & Steve Biko Streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria