The West African Examinations Council, a non-profit-making organization, with its headquarters in Accra, Ghana, was established in 1952 after the Governments of Ghana (then Gold Coast), Nigeria, Sierra Leone and The Gambia enacted the West African Examinations Council Ordinances in 1951. Liberia became the fifth member of the Council in 1974. The enactment of the Ordinances was based on the Jeffrey Report, which strongly supported the proposal for the setting up of a regional examining board to harmonize and standardize pre-university assessment procedures in then British West Africa.
The main objectives of the Council are;
- To conduct examinations in the public interest;
- To award certificates, provided that the certificates did not represent lower standards of attainment than equivalent certificates of examining authorities in the United Kingdom.
To be a world-class examining body adding value to the educational goals of its stakeholders.
To remain Africa's foremost examining body, providing qualitative and reliable educational assessment, encouraging academic and moral excellence and promoting sustainable human resource development and international cooperation.
EXAMINATIONS CONDUCTED BY THE GHANA NATIONAL OFFICE
The Ghana National Office of the Council conducts the following examinations for public schools on behalf of the Government.
- The Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) for both School and Private Candidates;
- The West African Senior School Certificate Examinations (WASSCE) for both School and Private Candidates;
- The Business Certificate Examinations made up of the General and Advanced Business Certificate Examinations (GBCE) for both School and Private Candidates.
- WAEC Ghana Aptitude Tests
The Council administers customized aptitude tests upon request for the selection of applicants for;
- Admission into training institutions;
- Award of scholarships;
- Employment purposes.
- WAEC Ghana Miscellaneous Examinations
The Council conducts various examinations on behalf of the following foreign examining bodies including;
- Associated Board of the Royal School of Music (ABRSM);
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA);
- Association of Business Executives (ABE);
- Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS);
- Institute for the Management of Information Systems (IMIS);
- University of London International Programme;
- Cambridge International College (CIC);
- Institute of Fire Engineers (IFE);
- London Centre of Marketing;
- Paris Graduate School of Management (PGSM);
- Educational Testing Service.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF WAEC NATIONAL OFFICES
Each WAEC National Office is responsible for:
- Developing syllabuses and tests for its national examinations;
- Planning, administering and processing of the various examinations held in the country;
- Ensuring that the decisions of the Council and its Committees are implemented in the country.
MAJOR OPERATIONAL PROCESSES
The core business of the Council may be broadly classified as follows:
- Pre- Examination activities;
- Conduct of Examination;
- Post -Examination activities.
To check any of your WAEC-based examinations, click here.
New WAEC WASSCE Grading System
WAEC Ghana Office Locations
- Location: Behind Ridge Hospital
- Post Office Box: P. O. Box 917, Accra
- Contact Numbers: +233 302 208201 - 9
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Location: Near Kumasi Technical Institute (KTI)
- Post Office Box: P.O. Box 3515, Kumasi, Ashanti Region
- Contact Numbers: 03220-34452/26064/34453/34449
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Old Estate Road, former Produce Buying Company Premises
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box KF6, Koforidua, Eastern Region
- Contact Numbers: 03420-20075/20921/20922
- Location: Mempeasem, off Jukwa Road
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 828, Cape Coast, Central Region
- Contact Numbers: 03320-32878/37086/37085
- Location: Near Regional Co-ordinating Council, Sekondi
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 84, Takoradi, Western Region
- Contact Numbers: 03120-46334/46041
- Location: Behind Ghana Legion and District Assembly Offices
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 190, Sunyani Brong Ahafo Region
- Contact Numbers: 03520-24462/27016
- Location: Opposite State Construction Corporation
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 455, Ho, Volta Region
- Contact Numbers: 03620-26164/28254
- Location: Near GNAT Hostel
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 155, ER, Tamale, Northern Region
- Contact Numbers: 03720-22854/23092
- Location: SOE Residential Area (near Catering Rest House)
- Post Office Box: P. O. Box 327, Bolgatanga, Upper East Region
- Contact Numbers: 03820-24267/23232
- Location: Kumbiehe Road
- Post Office Box: P.O.Box 300, Wa Upper West Region
- Contact Numbers: 03920-22278/20588