Mfantsipim Senior High School
Gender - Boys
Housing status - Day & Boarding
Year of Establishment - 1876
About Mfantsipim Senior High School
Mfantsipim Senior High School is a Methodist secondary school in Cape Coast, Ghana. It is the first secondary school to be established in the Gold Coast, (now Ghana) as Wesleyan High School, founded on 3 April 1876. The school changed its name to Wesleyan Collegiate School in 1896. In 1905 a graduate of the school, John Mensah Sarbah, founded a rival school named
Mfantsipim; the name derives from “Mfantsefoapem”, literally meaning “thousands of Fantes” but actually meaning “the gathering of hosts of scholars for change” originally by Fantes. In July of the same year the two schools were merged under the control of the Methodist church, keeping the name Mfantsipim. In 1931, it moved to its present location at
Kwabotwe Hill and has sometimes been referred to as ‘Kwabotwe’ for that reason.
A second cycle institution of choice excelling beyond Ghana and firmly rooted on at least three core principles
To maintain its position as a first-class educational institution; excelling in all fields of endeavours, through the provision of conducive environment and with the active involvement of all stakeholders and motivation for staff and students to achieve the best.
Cape Coast, Central, Ghana