You may have heard that you can register your business in Ghana electronically. Well, That is true, online business registration in Ghana is possible. The Registrar-General’s Department, (RGD) Under the Ministry of Justice and Attorney General’s Department, has established an online registration portal on the RGD’s website to help you to register your business online with ease.
According to the Registrar General Department (RGD) of Ghana, the following steps are intended to provide a general guide to online business registration in Ghana, and should be read in conjunction with the provisions of the Business Names Act, 1962, (Act151) of the Laws of Ghana and should not be regarded as a substitute for reading it.
This post on how to start a business in Ghana is written for all first-time local entrepreneurs. You can also get the details of the legalities involved in incorporating a business in Ghana under the new Companies Act 2019
You are also advised to seek independent professional advice on registering your company as they see fit.
A. Online Business Registration in Ghana in 3 Simple Steps
Before we delve into all the details, the following are 5 simple steps to registering your business online in Ghana;
- Perform a quick business name search on the RDG Portal to make sure your business name is available or not.
- Login to RGD Portal and fill the online form, providing your TIN or Tax Identification Number, Upload a scanned copy of your National ID, and your business details.
- Complete the registration by making a payment online, or go to your district RGD Office and make payment of GHs60. It takes about 14 to 28 business days to complete your online business registration.
Now let’s discuss all you need to know about Ghana’s online business registration;
B. What is an online business registration?
Electronic or online Registration is a 24-hour online service provided by the Registrar-General’s Department (RGD) to facilitate the electronic submission of applications for individuals who wish to register their businesses online via the portal.
C. What is a sole proprietorship and who can register?
A sole proprietorship is popularly referred to as a one-man business where an individual proprietor owns and manages the business and is responsible for all debts and liabilities. The ownership of the business dies with the owner and is solely registered by Ghanaians ONLY.
D. How do I register a business online in Ghana?
You can submit an application after you have been registered as a portal account user on rgdeservices.com. You can register as an Individual Portal User free of charge to enjoy the convenience of electronic services. All registration documents are to be filled and scanned.
E. What are the requirements to register a business online in Ghana?
To be a portal user, you would need a Tax Identification Number (TIN). If you do not have a TIN, you would need a scanned copy of any of your Government-issued photo identification;
- National ID Card
- Voters’ I. D. card
- Driver’s License
You must upload the scanned copy of your ID card during the registration to acquire the TIN.
After uploading, Click on Portal Accounts on the login page and follow the instructions to acquire access to use RGD Portal to register your Business.
The scanned documents will be reviewed by RGD staff who will send a confirmation link to the email attached to your TIN for activation of the account with the password provided if the documents are approved.
F. How can I register a sole proprietorship after creating a portal account?
To register as a sole proprietor business online, users will need to:
- Download, Print, Complete, Sign, and Scan Form A – You can download FORM A at rgdeservices.com or obtain hard copies at the Registrar- General’s Office in the Headquarters and all RGD Regional Offices in Ghana.
- Click on the Entity Registration link on the left pane of the page
- Click on the Create new button if the name has not been reserved or click on create a name from the name reservation button if the name has already been reserved.
- Entity name field should be completed with “Business Name”
- Input the required information on all the fields
- Do not leave any field blank if even the information has been provided already in the mandatory fields
- Upload the scanned completed and signed Form A
- Make the payment online via Ghana e-Payment Portal (GEPP)
- The status of the application will be communicated to you by SMS
- Generate eCertificate and associated documents
G. Are there any differences in the application documents delivered in electronic form and hard copy form for Business Name Registration?
No! The application documents for your online business registration in Ghana are delivered in either electronic form or hard copy form are the same. The required documents are to be attached during the e-registration (online) process.
H. How can I make payment for online business registration?
You can make payments via NITA’s Ghana Electronic payment platform (GEPP) with the following mode of payments: VISA Card, Master Card, eTransact, PayAll Mobile Money, and Bank Transfers.
I. What documents will I receive after completing the registration process and how can I get the Business Registration Certificate?
You can generate an electronic copy of the Certificate of registration and Form A upon completion of the registration process.
RGD has incorporated two types of certified certificates for online business registration;
- Digital Certificates: This type of Certificate is available for 14 days and should be used electronically within 14 days, you can save or print it. It can be requested after 14 days at a fee of Ghc10.00 per document if the need be.
- Hard Copy Certificates: Hardcopy Certified Certificates are also made available to portal users. The Certificates are made available at our office depending on the Region it was completed in during the online registration process and can be requested for.
J. What other business registration services are offered online?
The RGD has made the following services available online;
- Business Name searches
- Business Registration
- Marriage bookings
- Estate interview bookings
- Filing of statutory forms including Annual Returns/Renewal
- Live chat
- Searches of registered companies
K. How do I search for a company’s information from the RGD’s database?
The E-shop function on RDG’s online business registration in Ghana portal gives members of the public the option to search for a company’s detailed information. Pls note that some personal information cannot be accessed per the Data Protection Act 2012, Act 843
L. What is Business Registration Live Chat?
It is a means of communication where portal users can have a live chat with RGD staff on any issues concerning the registration of the business.
M. How do I search for the availability of a Business Name?
The Name search function on the RGD portal can be used to find out whether a business name is available or already registered. You must note that the final decision on the use and suitability of a Business and Company name rests with the Registrar-General alone
N. Where can I get business registration information?
You can contact the RGD Help Desk for all your online business registration in Ghana inquiries via;
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +233 302 664691-93
- Mobile: +233 244 644602