This post is a comprehensive guide on accredited universities in Nigeria offering you a list of universities in Nigeria, and a guide on university accreditation according to the National Universities Commission. We also included an updated list of all 58 fake universities operating in the country, making a total of 197 universities in Nigeria, the largest number for any country in Africa.
List fo Accredited Federal Universities in Nigeria 2021
How many accredited universities are in Nigeria? As of August 2021, there are exactly 45 federal universities, 53 state universities, and 99 private universities in Nigeria.
The following is a full list of National Universities Commission (NUC) accredited federal universities in Nigeria as of September 2021
|Federal University||Website||Year of Establishment|
|1||Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi||https://www.atbu.edu.ng||1988|
|2||Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria||1962|
|3||Air Force Institute of Technology, Kaduna||https://afit.edu.ng||2018|
|4||Alex Ekwueme University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State||https://www.funai.edu.ng||2011|
|5||Bayero University, Kano||https://www.buk.edu.ng||1975|
|6||Federal University Gashua, Yobe||https://www.fugashua.edu.ng||2013|
|7||Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta||https://www.unaab.edu.ng||1988|
|8||Federal University of Agriculture, Zuru, Kebbi State||2020|
|9||Federal University of Health Technology, Otukpo Benue State||2020|
|10||Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun||https://www.fupre.edu.ng||2007|
|11||Federal University of Technology, Akure||1981|
|12||Federal University of Technology, Minna||https://www.futminna.edu.ng||1982|
|13||Federal University of Technology, Owerri||https://www.futo.edu.ng||1980|
|14||Federal University, Birnin Kebbi||https://www.fubk.edu.ng||2013|
|15||Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State||https://www.fud.edu.ng/||2011|
|16||Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina||https://www.fudutsinma.edu.ng||2011|
|17||Federal University, Gusau Zamfara||https://www.fugusau.edu.ng||2013|
|18||Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State||https://www.fukashere.edu.ng||2011|
|19||Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State||https://www.fulafia.edu.ng||2011|
|20||Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State||https://www.fulokoja.edu.ng||2011|
|21||Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa||https://www.fuotuoke.edu.ng/||2011|
|22||Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State||https://www.fuoye.edu.ng/||2011|
|23||Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State||https://www.fuwukari.edu.ng/||2011|
|24||Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike||https://www.mouau.edu.ng||1992|
|25||Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola||https://www.mautech.edu.ng||1981|
|26||National Open University of Nigeria, Lagos||https://www.nou.edu.ng||2002|
|27||Nigeria Police Academy Wudil||https://polac.edu.ng/||2013|
|28||Nigerian Army University Biu||https://naub.edu.ng/||2018|
|29||Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna||https://www.nda.edu.ng||1985|
|30||Nigerian Maritime University Okerenkoko, Delta State||https://www.nmu.edu.ng||2018|
|31||Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka||https://www.unizik.edu.ng||1992|
|32||Obafemi Awolowo University,Ile-Ife||1962|
|33||University of Abuja, Gwagwalada||https://www.uniabuja.edu.ng||1988|
|34||University of Agriculture, Makurdi||https://www.uam.edu.ng||1988|
|35||University of Benin||https://www.uniben.edu.ng||1970|
|36||University of Calabar||https://www.unical.edu.ng||1975|
|37||University of Ibadan||1948|
|38||University of Ilorin||1975|
|39||University of Jos||https://www.unijos.edu.ng||1975|
|40||University of Lagos||1962|
|41||University of Maiduguri||https://www.unimaid.edu.ng||1975|
|42||University of Nigeria, Nsukka||1960|
|43||University of Port-Harcourt||1975|
|44||University of Uyo||https://www.uniuyo.edu.ng||1991|
|45||Usumanu Danfodiyo University||https://www.udusok.edu.ng||1975|
List of State Universities in Nigeria 2021
The following table is a list of all 53 NUC accredited state universities in Nigeria as of September 2021
|State University||Website||Year of Establishment|
|1||Abia State University, Uturu||https://www.abiastateuniversity.edu.ng||1981|
|2||Adamawa State University Mubi||https://www.adsu.edu.ng||2002|
|3||Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba||https://www.aaua.edu.ng||1999|
|4||Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot Akpaden||https://www.aksu.edu.ng||2010|
|5||Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma||https://www.aauekpoma.edu.ng||1980|
|6||Bamidele Olumilua University of Science and Technology Ikere, Ekiti State||2020|
|7||Bauchi State University, Gadau||https://www.basug.edu.ng||2011|
|8||Bayelsa Medical University||2019|
|9||Benue State University, Makurdi||https://www.bsum.edu.ng||1992|
|10||Bornu State University, Maiduguri||2016|
|11||Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli||https://coou.edu.ng/||2000|
|12||Confluence University of Science and Technology Osara, Kogi||2020|
|13||Cross River State University of Technology, Calabar||https://www.crutech.edu.ng||2004|
|14||Delta State University Abraka||https://www.delsu.edu.ng||1992|
|15||Delta University of Science and Technology, Ozoro||2021|
|16||Dennis Osadebe University, Asaba||2021|
|17||Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State||https://www.epu.edu.ng/||2016|
|18||Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki||https://www.ebsu.edu.ng||2000|
|19||Edo State University Uzairue||https://www.edouniversity.edu.ng/||2016|
|20||Ekiti State University||https://www.eksu.edu.ng||1982|
|21||Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu||https://www.esut.edu.ng||1982|
|22||Gombe State Univeristy, Gombe||https://www.gsu.edu.ng||2004|
|23||Gombe State University of Science and Technology||2017|
|24||Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai||https://www.ibbu.edu.ng||2005|
|25||Ignatius Ajuru University of Education,Rumuolumeni||https://www.iaue.edu.ng||2010|
|26||Imo State University, Owerri||https://www.imsu.edu.ng||1992|
|27||Kaduna State University, Kaduna||https://www.kasu.edu.ng||2004|
|28||Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil||https://www.kust.edu.ng||2000|
|29||Kebbi State University of Science and Technology, Aliero||https://www.ksusta.edu.ng||2006|
|30||Kogi State University Anyigba||https://www.ksu.edu.ng||1999|
|31||Kwara State University, Ilorin||https://www.kwasu.edu.ng||2009|
|32||Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso||https://www.lautech.edu.ng||1990|
|33||Lagos State University, Ojo||1983|
|34||Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology Abeokuta||2017|
|35||Nasarawa State University Keffi||https://www.nsuk.edu.ng||2002|
|36||Niger Delta University Yenagoa||https://www.ndu.edu.ng||2000|
|37||Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye||https://www.oouagoiwoye.edu.ng||1982|
|38||Ondo State University of Medical Sciences||https://www.unimed.edu.ng||2015|
|39||Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa||https://www.osustech.edu.ng||2008|
|40||Osun State University Osogbo||https://www.uniosun.edu.ng||2006|
|41||Oyo State Technical University Ibadan||https://tech-u.edu.ng/||2012|
|42||Plateau State University Bokkos||https://www.plasu.edu.ng||2005|
|43||Rivers State University||https://www.rsu.edu.ng||1979|
|44||Sokoto State University||https://www.ssu.edu.ng||2009|
|45||Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa||https://www.slu.edu.ng||2013|
|46||Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode||https://www.tasued.edu.ng||2005|
|47||Taraba State University, Jalingo||https://www.tsuniversity.edu.ng||2008|
|48||Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina||https://www.umyu.edu.ng||2006|
|49||University of Africa Toru Orua, Bayelsa State||https://www.uat.edu.ng/public/||2016|
|50||University of Delta, Agbor||2021|
|51||Yobe State University, Damaturu||https://www.ysu.edu.ng||2006|
|52||Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano||https://www.nwu.edu.ng||2012|
|53||Zamfara State University||2018|
List of Private Universities in Nigeria
As of 2021, Nigeria has a total of 99 private universities. The following table gives you their details.
|Private University||Website||Year of Establishment|
|1||Achievers University, Owo||https://www.achievers.edu.ng||2007|
|2||Adeleke University, Ede||https://www.adelekeuniversity.edu.ng||2011|
|3||Admiralty University, Ibusa Delta State||https://www.adun.edu.ng||2017|
|4||Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State||https://www.abuad.edu.ng||2009|
|5||African University of Science & Technology, Abuja||https://aust.edu.ng||2007|
|6||Ahman Pategi University, Kwara State||2021|
|7||Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan||https://www.acu.edu.ng||2005|
|8||Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin||https://www.alhikmah.edu.ng||2005|
|9||Al-Istiqama University, Sumaila, Kano State||2021|
|10||Al-Qalam University, Katsina||https://www.auk.edu.ng||2005|
|11||American University of Nigeria, Yola||https://www.aun.edu.ng||2003|
|12||Anan University, Kwall, Plateau State||2021|
|13||Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State||https://www.aul.edu.ng/||2016|
|14||Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State||https://www.arthurjarvisuniversity.edu.ng/||2016|
|15||Atiba University Oyo||2017|
|17||Ave Maria University, Piyanko, Nasarawa State||2021|
|18||Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo||https://www.babcock.edu.ng||1999|
|20||Bells University of Technology, Otta||https://www.bellsuniversity.edu.ng/||2005|
|21||Benson Idahosa University, Benin City||https://www.biu.edu.ng/||2002|
|22||Bingham University, New Karu||https://www.binghamuni.edu.ng||2005|
|23||Bowen University, Iwo||https://www.bowen.edu.ng||2001|
|24||Caleb University, Lagos||https://www.calebuniversity.edu.ng||2007|
|25||Capital City University, Kano State||2021|
|26||Caritas University, Enugu||https://www.caritasuni.edu.ng/||2005|
|28||Christopher University Mowe||https://www.christopheruniversity.edu.ng/||2015|
|29||Claretian University of Nigeria, Nekede, Imo State||2021|
|30||Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State||https://www.clifforduni.edu.ng/||2016|
|31||Coal City University Enugu State||https://www.ccu.edu.ng/||2016|
|32||Covenant University, Ota||2002|
|33||Crawford University Igbesa||https://www.crawforduniversity.edu.ng||2005|
|35||Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State||https://www.crownhilluniversity.edu.ng/||2016|
|36||Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State||https://www.dui.edu.ng/||2016|
|37||Dominion University Ibadan, Oyo State||https://www.dominionuniversity.edu.ng/||2019|
|38||Edusoko University, Bida, Niger State||2021|
|39||Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo||https://www.edwinclarkuniversity.edu.ng/||2015|
|40||Eko University of Medical and Health Sciences Ijanikin, Lagos||https://www.ekounivmed.edu.ng||2017|
|41||Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin||https://www.elizadeuniversity.edu.ng||2012|
|42||Evangel University, Akaeze||https://www.evangeluniversity.edu.ng||2012|
|43||Fountain University, Oshogbo||https://www.fuo.edu.ng||2007|
|44||Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State||https://www.gouni.edu.ng||2009|
|45||Greenfield University, Kaduna||https://www.gfu.edu.ng||2019|
|46||Gregory University, Uturu||https://www.gregoryuniversity.com||2012|
|47||Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun||https://www.hallmark.edu.ng||2015|
|48||Havilla University, Nde-Ikom, Cross River State||2021|
|49||Hezekiah University, Umudi||https://hezekiah.edu.ng/||2015|
|50||Igbinedion University Okada||https://www.iuokada.edu.ng||1999|
|51||James Hope University, Lagos, Lagos State||2021|
|52||Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji||https://www.jabu.edu.ng||2006|
|53||Karl-Kumm University, Vom, Plateau State||2021|
|54||Khadija University, Majia, Jigawa State||2021|
|55||Kings University, Ode Omu||https://www.kingsuniversity.edu.ng/||2015|
|56||Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State||https://www.koladaisiuniversity.edu.ng/||2016|
|57||Kwararafa University, Wukari||https://www.kwararafauniversity.edu.ng||2005|
|58||Landmark University, Omu-Aran.||https://www.lmu.edu.ng||2011|
|59||Lead City University, Ibadan||https://www.lcu.edu.ng||2005|
|60||Legacy University, Okija Anambra State||https://www.legacyuniversity.edu.ng/||2016|
|61||Madonna University, Okija||https://www.madonnauniversity.edu.ng||1999|
|62||Maranathan University, Mgbidi, Imo State||2021|
|63||Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria, Kano State||2021|
|64||Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo||https://www.mcu.edu.ng||2012|
|65||Mewar University, Masaka, Nasarawa State||2021|
|66||Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University||https://mciu.edu.ng/||2015|
|67||Mountain Top University||https://www.mtu.edu.ng||2015|
|68||Mudiame University, Irrua, Edo State||2021|
|69||Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja||https://www.ntnu.edu.ng||2009|
|70||NOK University, Kachia, Kaduna State||2021|
|71||Novena University, Ogume||https://www.novenauniversity.edu.ng||2005|
|72||Obong University, Obong Ntak||https://www.obonguniversity.net||2007|
|73||Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State||https://www.oduduwauniversity.edu.ng||2009|
|74||PAMO University of Medical Sciences, Portharcourt||https://www.pums.edu.ng||2017|
|75||Pan-Atlantic University, Lagos||https://www.pau.edu.ng||2002|
|76||Paul University, Awka – Anambra State||https://www.pauluniversity.edu.ng||2009|
|77||Philomath University, Kuje, Abuja||2021|
|78||Precious Cornerstone University, Oyo||https://www.pcu.edu.ng||2017|
|79||Redeemer’s University, Ede||https://www.run.edu.ng||2005|
|80||Renaissance University, Enugu||https://www.rnu.edu.ng||2005|
|81||Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State||https://www.rhemauniversity.edu.ng||2009|
|82||Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom||https://www.ritmanuniversity.edu.ng||2015|
|83||Salem University, Lokoja||https://www.salemuniversity.edu.ng||2007|
|84||Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa.||https://www.sau.edu.ng||2011|
|85||Skyline University, Kano||https://www.sun.edu.ng||2018|
|86||Southwestern University, Oku Owa||https://www.southwesternuniversity.edu.ng||2012|
|87||Spiritan University, Nneochi Abia State||https://www.spiritanuniversity.edu.ng||2017|
|89||Tansian University, Umunya||https://tansianuniversity.edu.ng/||2007|
|90||Thomas Adewumi University, Oko-Irese, Kwara State||2021|
|91||Topfaith University, Mkpatak, Akwa Ibom State||2021|
|92||Trinity University Ogun State||https://www.trinityuniversity.edu.ng/||2019|
|93||University of Mkar, Mkar||https://www.unimkar.edu.ng||2005|
|94||University of Offa, Kwara State||2021|
|95||Veritas University, Abuja||https://www.veritas.edu.ng||2007|
|96||Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State||https://www.wellspringuniversity.net||2009|
|97||Wesley University. of Science & Technology, Ondo||https://www.wusto.edu.ng||2007|
|98||Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State||https://wdu.edu.ng||2007|
|99||Westland University Iwo, Osun State||2019|
NUC Approved Distance Learning Centres in Nigeria 2021
The following is a list of all 12 NUC approved Distance Learning Centres in Nigeria
|University||Distance Learning Centre|
|1||Ahmadu Bello University Zaria||Distance Learning Centre ABU, Zaria|
|2||Federal University of Technology Minna||Center for Open Distance and e-Learning|
|3||Joseph Ayo Babalola University University||JABU Center for Distance Learning|
|4||Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso||LAUTECH Distance Learning Centre|
|5||Lagos State University||Lagos State University Open and Distance Learning and Research Institute|
|6||Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola||Centre for Distance Learning|
|7||Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife||Centre for Distance Learning|
|8||University of Abuja, Abuja||Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education|
|9||University of Ibadan, Ibadan||Distance Learning Centre|
|10||University of Lagos, Akoka||Distance Learning Institute|
|11||University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri||Centre for Distance Learning|
|12||University of Nigeria Nsukka||UNN Center for Distance and e-Learning|
Full List of Accredited Seminaries, Institutions, and Colleges of Education and Their Affiliations
The following is a comprehensive list of all accredited university colleges, seminaries, and other educational institutions in Nigeria and the universities to which they are affiliated to.
Colleges of Educated Affiliated to Bayero University Kano
- Federal College of Education, Katsina
Colleges of Educated Affiliated to Delta State University, Abraka
- College of Education, Warri
- College of Education, Agbor
Colleges of Educated Affiliated to Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Federal College of Education (Technical) Potiskum
Colleges Affiliated to Imo State University, Owerri
- Claretian Institute of Philosophy, Nekede
- Seat of Wisdom Seminary, Owerri
Seminaries and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- Enugu State College Of Education (Technical), Enugu
- Pope John Paul II Major Seminary, Okpuno, Awka
Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Ado – Ekiti
- Michael Otedola College of Primary Education, Noforija Epe Lagos
- Emanuel Alayande College of Education, Oyo
- Kwara State College of Education, Oro
- Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin
- Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education Otto, Ijanikin, Lagos
Colleges of Affiliated to University of Benin, Benin City
- Seminary of all Saints, Ekpoma
Colleges and Seminaries Affiliated to University of Calabar, Calabar
- Nigerian Christian Bible Church
- Reformed Theological Seminary, Mkar
- Catholic Institute of West Africa, P/Harcourt
- Essien Ukpabio Presbyterian College Itu, Akwa Ibom
Colleges of Educated and University Colleges Affiliated to University of Ibadan
- Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu
- Archbishop Vining College Of Theology, Akure
- Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) Theological Seminary, Ileâ€Ife.
- St Augustine’s College Of Education Akoka, Lagos
- Osun State College Of Education, Ilesa
- SS Peter And Paul Seminary, Bodija, Ibadan
- Immanuel College of Theology And Christian Education, Samonda, Ibadan
- Dominican Institute, Samonda, Ibadan
- ECWA Theological Seminary, Igbaja
- UMCA, Ilorin
- Nigeria Baptist Theological Seminary, Ogbomoso
Institutions and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Jos
- Federal College of Education, Pankshin
- National Film Institute, Jos
Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Maiduguri
- Umar Ibn Ibrahim El-Kanemi College of Education, Science and Technology, Bama
- College of Education, Azare, Bauchi State
- College of Education, Gashua, Yobe State
- Federal College of Education (Technical), Gombe
Institutions and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Nigeria
- St. Paul’s College, Awka
- Yaba College of Technology Lagos
- College Of Education, Ikere-Ekiti (Regular)
- Spiritan Int’l School of Theology, Attakwu, Enugu
- Spiritan School of Philosophy, Issienu, Nsukka
- Trinity Theological College, Umuaiha
- West Africa Theological Seminary, Ipaja, Lagos
- College of Education, Nsugbe
- Digital Bridge Institute, Abuja
Seminaries and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Port Harcourt
- National Missionary Seminary of St. Paul, Gwagwalada, Abuja
- Methodists Theological institute, Umuahia
- Baptist College of Theology, Obinze, Owerri
Seminaries and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to University of Uyo
- St. Joseph Major Seminary, Ikot Ekpene
- Assemblies of God Divinity School, Old Umuahia
- The Apostolic Church Theological Seminary, Amumara
- The Samuel Bill Theological College, Abak
- Osun State College Of Education, Ila-Orangun (Regular)
Institutes and Colleges of Educated Affiliated to Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto
- Niger State College of Education
- Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto
- Digital Bridge Institute, Abuja
How to Establish an Institution of Higher Learning in Nigeria – Complete Guide
The following is a complete guide on the laws that govern the establishment of a university in Nigeria.
Pursuant to the recommendations of the Commission on the Review of Higher Education in Nigeria, the Federal Government of Nigeria has approved guidelines for the establishment of higher institutions of learning in Nigeria. Relevant excerpts contained in the Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) (Amendment Decree No. 9 of 1993 are reproduced hereunder):-
- 19A. An institution of Higher Education may be sponsored or owned by the Government of the Federation or of a State or Local Government or by any of the following, that is:
- a. By a Company incorporated in Nigeria: or
- b. By an individual or association of individuals who are citizens of Nigeria, and who satisfy the criteria set out in the Schedule to this Act for the establishment of institutions.
- (1) Application for the establishment of an institution of higher education shall be made to the Minister:
- a. in the case of a University, through the National Universities Commission:
- b. In the case of a Polytechnic or College of Agriculture, through the National Board for Technical Education;
- c. In the case of a College of Education, through the National Commission for Colleges of Education; and
- d. In any other case, through the Director-General of the Federal Ministry of Education, in accordance with the guidelines prescribed for making the application.
- (2) No State, Local Government, or tertiary institution shall benefit from the education tax with respect to a tertiary institution unless the application for the establishment of that tertiary institution was made in accordance with the provision of subsection (1) of this section.
- (3) No person shall be granted approval to establish an institution of higher education unless the criteria set out in the Schedule to this Act have been satisfied.
Criteria for Establishing and Institutions for Higher Learning in Nigeria
The following are the requirements to establish a university in Nigeria.
- (1) The academic structure and spread of discipline of the institution shall be such as would cater for areas of felt needs.
- 1. Evidence shall be produced to show that the institution would be provided with adequate:-
- (a) Funding, both Capital and Recurrent;
- (b) Academic and Support Staff.
- 2. The proposed staffing guidelines shall meet with current guidelines of-
- (a) The National Universities Commission; or
- (b) The National Board for Technical Education; or
- (c) The National Commission for Colleges of Education, as the case may be.
- (3) The Federal Government must be satisfied that, on approval being given, the sources of funding and necessary funds will be available.
- (4) The Federal Government or its accredited agency shall ascertain and be satisfied itself that:-
- (a) The fixed and enabling assets, that is, funds, land, movable and immovable assets, are appropriate for establishing the institution in the light of such factors as:-
- i. The type of institution envisaged,
- ii. Its philosophy and objectives,
- iii. The cost of goods and services prevailing at the time;
- (b) The assets shall be assigned to the institution on approval being given for the institution to be established; and
- c) That the applicant has supplied a concrete and guaranteed source of financial support for the University to the tune of N200 million, N100 million for Polytechnic or Mono technic, and N50 million for a College of Education, over a period of 5 years.
- (1) A proposed institution shall have clearly spelt out master plan for infrastructural and programme development for at least 20 to 25 years which shall make adequate provision for:-
- (a) Plan space, aesthetic beauty and fixed final assets;
- (b) Minimum land area of 100 hectares for a University, 50 hectares for a Polytechnic or Monotechnic and 25 hectares for a College of Education, in a salutary site.
- (2) The site distance from an urban complex shall take into account availability of municipal services, including water, transportation, private accommodation, communication and other consequential inadequate in its Community.
- (1) A proposed institution shall have an adequate environment base and shall be open to all Nigerians irrespective of ethnic derivation, social status, religious or political persuasion.
- (2) Accordingly, its laws and status shall not conflict with the conventional responsibilities in academia or interfere with avowed traditional institutional autonomy.
- (7) To pre-empt problems of inadequate municipal facilities, the proposed institution shall have a clear policy on student and staff accommodation and catering services.
- (8) The proposed institution shall have a well articulated mission and set of objectives which may be original and innovative but unequivocally in consonance with the socio-economic and political aspirations of Nigeria.
- (9) To create and sustain credibility and confidence from the start, the administrative structure of the proposed institution shall not depart too radically from established norms.
- (10) The library, laboratory and workshop facilities including instructional tools and consumables, shall be adequate and there shall be long-range plans for sustaining them.
- (11) The planning and feasibility report of the proposed institution include proposed contracts and affiliation with existing similar institutions and plans for cooperation and interaction.
- (12) The criteria set out in this Schedule shall also apply to a proposed institution which is an Open University except that:-
- (a)The minimum land area requirement shall not apply; and
- (b) Guidelines prescribed by the appropriate authority as regard technical infrastructure for functional and effective operation shall be satisfied
How to Establish a Private University in Nigeria – A 14-Step Guide
This guide is a 14-step roadmap to establishing your own university in Nigeria.
Step 1 – Application, in writing, stating the intent for the establishment of the University
Interested applicants are expected to apply in writing, to the Executive Secretary, NUC, stating the intent for the establishment of the university. The declaration of intent should include, in brief, the name of the proposed University, the location, the mission and vision, the nature of the proposed university, and its proposed focal niche in the current Nigerian University System, etc.
Step 2 – Interview of Promoters to Ascertain their Seriousness
Step 3 – Collection of Application Forms
Following due consideration of the application in writing, individuals or corporate bodies seeking to establish a private university are expected to send a representative to come to the Commission with the prescribed payment to collect a set of ten (10) application forms in person.
Upon collection of the forms, copies of guidelines and other requirements are also given for proper guidance. Other clarifications are also sought and given as appropriate.
Steps 4 – Submission of Application Forms and Relevant Documents
The completed application forms are forwarded with a non-refundable processing fee in Bank Draft addressed to NUC along with one or more of the following documents, if ready:
- Draft Academic Brief;
- Draft Physical Masterplan;
- Draft University Law;
- Counterpart Deed of Assignment;
- Certificate of Incorporation/Registration of Proprietors (accompanied with Articles and Memorandum of Association);
- Deed of Assignment/Certificate of Occupancy;
- Letter of Available Liquid Cash; and
- Bank Guarantee of Funds to the tune of
N200 Million from a reputable Bank.
It is usually advised that the last two documents should not be procured by the applicant until processing of the application has reached an advanced stage. Submission should also be at the instance of the Directorate of Establishment of Private Universities (DEPU).
Step 5 – Interactive Meeting of DEPU with the proposed university
Normally, DEPU invites the members of the Planning & Implementation Committee of the proposed university to NUC for an interactive meeting as a prelude to the first verification visit to its campus site. During the meeting, the process of documentation and other matters bordering on university governance are discussed and many grey areas are resolved.
The meeting also affords the proposed university the opportunity to interact with the Executive Secretary/Chief Executive of NUC and his Management team for words of advice and encouragement. Also, a seminar presentation is delivered to avail the prospective Proprietors of the basic philosophy of universities and their societal roles.
Step 6 – Completion of Submission of Outstanding relevant documents
The Proprietors of the private Universities who had submitted part of the relevant documents are expected to make full submissions at this stage. The relevant documents include the draft Academic Briefs, draft Masterplan, and the draft University Law.
Step 7 – Intensive Review/Analysis of Documents by experts in Relevant NUC Departments
Following submission of the completed application forms and relevant documents, the documents are forwarded to the professional Departments for analysis after which their comments and observations on such documents are sent to the Committee for onward transmission to the proposed university.
For instance, Academic Brief and Masterplan documents are forwarded to the Department of Academic Standards. The legal documents such as the University Law, Counterpart Deed of Assignment, Certificate of Incorporation/Registration, and Deed of Assignment/Certificate of Occupancy are usually forwarded to the Legal Unit of the Office of the Executive Secretary.
Step 8 – First Verification Visit
DEPU undertakes a verification visit to the proposed university to review their documents with them on a one-on-one basis and to assess the level of preparedness in terms of documentation. During this visit, an inspection of physical facilities is also undertaken to ascertain their adequacy for the proposed Colleges for the first phase.
In addition, courtesy calls are paid to the government establishments that provide infrastructural facilities such as electricity, water, and telecommunication including the traditional rulers and local government headquarters of where the proposed university is located.
These visits are undertaken to solicit support from the host community for the proposed university and also let them know that a university is being proposed in that area. This visit is considered very important as it reveals whether the Proprietor is committed to the project and is a prerequisite to the final verification visit.
Step 9 – Revision of Documentation by Proprietors based on Report by DEPU of NUC
Following the first visit, the proposed university is expected to revise its documents and undertake the modifications of its facilities to reflect the prescriptions given during the visit. The revised documents are forwarded to NUC for assessment of compliance. If found that progress has been made in that direction, the second (final) verification visit is scheduled to the proposed university.
Step 10 – Second Verification Visit
This is expected to be the final visit to the proposed university, depending on the level of compliance with the given prescriptions. As a result, the documents are reviewed along with the Planning & Implementation Committee with a view to perfecting them as to bring them to an acceptable level.
The evidence of available liquid cash documents is inspected and analyzed by the financial expert on the Committee. The Bank Guarantee of Fund to the tune of
N200 million will also be sighted along with other legal documents for eventual submission to NUC.
Final inspection of physical facilities is also carried out to ascertain whether they are in consonance with the approved NUC norms.
Step 11 – Security Screening of Proprietors and Board of Trustees
The purpose of screening the proprietor (Promoter) and members of the Board of Trustees of the proposed universities is to enable the Government to ascertain the credibility of those who are sponsoring the university project and to ensure that they are not persons of questionable character.
Step 12 – Approval By NUC Management
DEPU, on return to NUC from the final verification visit, writes a comprehensive report with scores to the NUC Management for its consideration and further necessary action.
Step 13 – Approval By NUC Board
The NUC Management, upon receipt of the DEPU report on the proposed university, considers and makes appropriate recommendations to the University Development Committee (UDC) of the NUC Board for its consideration after which the latter submits it to the Board for ratification.
The Board, thereafter, forwards its recommendation to the Federal Government through the Honourable Minister of Education for its consideration and approval.
Step 14 – Approval by Federal Executive Council
The Federal Executive Council considers the recommendations of the NUC Board and Security report on the proposed university’s Promoters.
If approved, a three-year Provisional Licence is granted to the Proprietor. Only satisfactory performance during the probationary period will earn the Proprietor a substantive License.
Full List of Fake Universities in Nigeria – 2021
The National Universities Commission (NUC) released a list of 58 unaccredited universities in the country and announced that 8 other institutions were under investigation for running unapproved degree programs.
The following is a full list of fake universities in Nigeria;
- Acada University, Akinlalu Oyo state or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- African University Cooperative Development (AUCD) Cotonou, Benin Republic operating
anywhere in Nigeria
- Atlanta University, Anyigba, Kogi state or any of its other campuses
- Atlantic Intercontinental University, Okija Anambra State
- Atlas University, Ikot Udoso Uko, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State or any of its other campuses in
- Blacksmith University, Akwa or any of its other campuses
- Bolta University College, Aba or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- Cape Coast University, Ghana operating in Nigeria
- Career Light Resources centre, Jos.
- Christians of Charity American University of Science and Technology, Nkpor, Anambra State
or any of its other campuses
- Coastal University, Iba Oku, Akwa Ibom State
- Columbus University, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Concept College/Universities (London) Ilorin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- EC-Council USA, Ikeja Lagos Study Centre
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology (Gboko campus)
- Evangel University of America and Chudick Management Academic, Lagos
- Federal College of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Abuja
- Filfom University, Mbaise, Imo State or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Gospel Missionary Foundation (GMF), Theological University, 165 Isolo road, Cele bus stop, Egbe Ikotun, Lagos
- Halifax Gateway University, Ikeja or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- Houdegbe North American University campuses in Nigeria
- Irish University Business School, London, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- JBC Seminary Inc. (Wukari Jubilee University) Kaduna illegal campus
- Kaduna Business School, Kaduna
- Kingdom of Christ University, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Lead Way University, Ugheli, Delta State
- Lobi Business School, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- London External Studies, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Metro University, Dutse/Bwari Abuja
- Middle Belt University (North Central University) Otukpo
- National University of Technology, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Olympic University, Nsukka, Enugu State
- Open International University, Akure
- Pacific Western University, Denver Colorado, Owerri study centre
- Pebbles University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pilgrims University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Royal University of Theology, Minna, Niger State
- Royal University, Izhia, PO BOX 800, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State or any of its other campuses
- Saint Augustine’s University of Technology, Jos, Plateau State or any of its other campuses
- Samuel Ahmadu University, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its other campuses
- Southend University, Ngwuro Egeru (Afam) Ndoki, Rivers State
- St. Andrews University College, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Temple University, Abuja
- The International University, Missouri USA, Kano and Lagos studies centres or any of its
other campuses in Nigeria
- Tiu International University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- UNESCO University, Ndoni, Rivers State or any of its other campuses
- United Christian University, Macotis campus, Imo State or any of its other campuses
- United Nigeria University College, Okija Anambra State or any of its other campuses.
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, Mowe, Lagos – Ibadan Expressway
and its annex at 41, Ikorodu road, Lagos.
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- University of Applied Sciences and Management, Port Novo, Republic of Benin or any of its
other campuses in Nigeria
- University of Education, Wenneba Ghana operating anywhere in Nigeria
- University of Industry, Yaba, Lagos or any of its other campuses
- University of West Africa, Kwali Abuja, FCT
- Volta University College, HO, Volta Region, Ghana or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- West African Christian University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- West African Union University, in collaboration with International Professional College of
Administration, Science and Technology, Nigeria operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Western University, Esie Kwara State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
Institutions being Investigated
The following is a list of institutions being investigated for running various accredited degree programs;
- Christ Alive Christian Seminary and University.
- Illegal Satellite Campuses of Ambrose Alli University.
- National Universities of Nigeria, Keffi , Nassarawa State.
- North Central University, Otukpo, Benue state.
- Richmond Open University, Arochukwu, Abia state.
- Saint Clements University, Iyin Ekiti, Ekiti state.
- Volta University College, Aba, Abia state.
- West Coast University, Umuahia.